Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fire, Fireweed and Jam

It has been a very eventful week. Since last Sunday's evacuation, sleep has been lacking and I have been super busy trying to catch up. I am happy to say that, after spending only one night at my sister-in-law's house, the evacuation was lifted Monday evening. It was very eerie driving back in. We were some of the first back and it was so empty. Lots of fire vehicles around. It had just started to rain and the smoke still covered a large area. We left the chickens with family when Sammy, the dogs and I came back. Just in case.

Tuesday it really started to rain and by Wednesday, it began to pour. It felt great! The chickens came home and the garden exploded over night. We will most likely still get smoke, but hopefully, the firebreak constructed around this edge of the fire will hold. This weekend is giving it a test. It is 85 degrees out and getting very dry again.

Life is beginning to return to normal. We are harvesting the fireweed and the first rhubarb. I'll be making the first batch of Fireweed Jelly this week. I am freezing and using this batch of rhubarb. Thanks to my friend Dominique, I have enough for several crisps and breads as well as a Blueberry Rhubarb Jam and my favorite, Touch of Spring Rhubarb, Strawberry, Pinapple Conserve.

Time to enjoy the bounties of summer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment